If you’re a fan of the classic flavours of strawberry shortcake but want a fun twist, these Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes are the perfect treat to satisfy your cravings. With moist vanilla cupcakes, fresh strawberries, and a fluffy whipped cream topping, these cupcakes capture the essence of the beloved dessert in a delightful handheld form. Let’s get baking!
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
For the Strawberry Filling:
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the Whipped Cream Topping:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Prepare the Cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry flour mixture to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner about two-thirds full with batter.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre0
- of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
2. Prepare the Strawberry Filling:
- In a bowl, combine the diced strawberries and granulated sugar. Allow them to sit for about 15 minutes to release their juices and create a sweet strawberry filling.
3. Make the Whipped Cream Topping:
- In a mixing bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, continuing to whip until stiff peaks form.
4. Assemble the Cupcakes:
- Using a knife or cupcake corer, remove a small portion from the centre of each cupcake to create a cavity.
- Spoon the macerated strawberry filling into the cavities of the cupcakes, filling them generously.
- Pipe or spread a generous dollop of whipped cream on top of each cupcake.
5. Serve and Enjoy:
- Just before serving, you can add an additional strawberry slice or mint leaves for garnish.
- These Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes are best enjoyed fresh. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator due to the whipped cream topping.
These Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes are a delightful fusion of flavours and textures, combining the sweetness of strawberries, the richness of vanilla cupcakes, and the lightness of whipped cream. Perfect for parties, gatherings, or simply as a sweet indulgence, these cupcakes are sure to become a favourite in your dessert repertoire.