Extravagant Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 200g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 250g caster sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 240ml whole milk
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 240ml boiling water
For the chocolate ganache filling:
- 200g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 240ml double cream
For the frosting:
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 400g icing sugar
- 100g cocoa powder
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C for fan ovens) or Gas Mark 4. Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt.
- Add the eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Gradually add the boiling water, mixing continuously. The batter will be thin, but that’s okay.
- Fill the cupcake cases two-thirds full with batter. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the chocolate ganache. Heat the double cream in a saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to simmer. Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Allow the ganache to cool and thicken slightly.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, cut a small hole in the centre of each cupcake and fill with the chocolate ganache.
- For the frosting, beat the softened butter until creamy. Gradually add the icing sugar and cocoa powder, beating well after each addition. Add the milk, one tablespoon at a time, and the vanilla extract. Beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto the cupcakes, making sure to cover the ganache-filled hole.
- Optional: For an extra touch of extravagance, top each cupcake with a piece of chocolate, a dusting of edible gold glitter, or a drizzle of extra ganache.
Indulge in these truly extravagant chocolate cupcakes that are a chocolate lover’s dream. Enjoy!